How to Claim a Tax Refund on Your Pension Refund

*This is Part 2 of How to Claim Your Pension Refund article.

After claiming and receiving your pension refund, you will have noticed that 20.42% income tax has been withheld. In most cases, you should be eligible for an income tax refund on this 20.42%. So what do you need to do now?

Before getting started, you should have completed Steps 1 – 5 by now.


Upon receiving your pension refund, you can now file an income tax return.

Step 6. Submit your tax return

  • Tax Return Form, kakutei shinkoku sho

  • Pension Refund Notice (Original), dattai ichijikin tsuchisho 

  • Copy of My Number card (front & back)

If you didn’t make a My Number card, please provide the copy of the My Number notice (front & back)

  • Copy of your passport (face photo page)

  • Your tax representative’s bank information

Please note the tax refund will be deposited into your tax representative’s bank account. Your tax representative should provide you with the following information.

*bank name, ginkou mei

*branch name, shiten mei

*account type, koza shubetsu

*account number, koza bango

*beneficiary name, kouza meigi


Step 7. The Tax Office receives your tax return.

Tax Office will send a copy with the “received” stamp within 5 – 10 business days.


Step 8. The Tax Office makes a deposit to your tax representative’s bank account.

It usually takes 2 – 4 weeks to process a refund. If you file an income tax return in January, February, or March, it may take more than 4 weeks as this is the busiest season for the Tax Office.


Step 9. Your tax representative forwards the tax refund to your account.

You should provide your bank details to your tax representative.

*SWIFT code or IBAN code

*bank name

*branch name

*branch address

*account number

*beneficiary’s name (registered name should be the same as the name on the passport)


Step 10. You receive your tax refund.



If you are not sure where to find a tax representative or how to fill out the tax return form, please feel free to contact us. We will be happy to put you in contact with the relevant tax professionals.