What is My Number?

When your HR staff asks you, “Do you have My Number?” They are not asking whether you have his or her phone number. “My Number” is a Japan/English word for “personal identification number.” It serves as a social security number and taxpayer identification number. The official English translation is “Individual Number.”


How do I get My Number?

If you register your address at your local ward office, a My Number is randomly assigned to you. You should receive a white notification letter via registered mail, which requires a signature upon delivery. The notification letter shows a 12-digit My Number, your full name, and date of birth.

If you became a Japan resident between 1 October 2015 and 24 May 2020, you should have received a green notification card.


How do I apply for a My Number Card?

You can apply online by scanning the QR code on the white notification letter, or you can pick up an application form and an envelope at your nearest post office. You need to fill out your phone number, sign your name, and attach 4.5 cm x 3.5 cm photo taken within the last 6 months. Please submit the application to the My Number Card center with the enclosed envelope.


After 1 or 2 months, you will receive a My Number Card Issue Notice(個人番号カード交付・電子証明書発行通知書 兼 照会書)in the mail. It means that your My Number Card is ready to pick up at your local Ward Office. You need to make an appointment in advance. (Please note every Ward Office has different appointment schedules and methods.) Please bring your My Number Card Issue Notice and your photo ID to the Ward Office on the assigned pick-up day.


When do I use My Number?

You are required to provide it when starting a new job, filing a tax return, opening a bank account, etc. Your employer uses it to enroll you in social insurance and when filing an income tax report. Please submit both sides of your My Number card.


I lost my My Number notification. What should I do to find out my My Number?

You need to bring your photo ID to your Ward Office, and they will issue your juminhyo (certificate of resident registration). You can show the sentence below to the Ward Office staff, and they will issue juminhyo with My Number printed on it.

kojin bango wo kisai shita juminhyo wo kofu shite kudasai
(Please issue a juminhyo and print My Number on it.)

If you lost your My Number Card, please go to the nearest police station to file a lost item report.